WINM Forums :: The Reeves Report :: working on a book ?

1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

working on a book ?
AdriannaM.
2011-02-15 00:04

Forum Posts: 424
Comments: 24
Reviews: 1
He's doing book signings already for Ode to Happiness?

That's the stupidest poem I've ever read, ha ha he really sucks at writing . . . lol I love you, K :D

LucaM
2011-02-15 01:04

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13

It's Sad Keanu trolling the world.

... while dripping irony.

or what inkhuldra said.

I don't usually understand poetry, but I love this one.

Anakin McFly
2011-02-15 02:13

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Not to mention how he first started on the project two months after hearing about Sad Keanu.

It's so brilliant. And then he charges $60 for it.

SAD KEANU TROLLS THE WORLD

(and yeah, he's definitely better at poetry than that, going by the stuff he was coming up with on the spot back in the 1990s.)

inkhuldra
2011-02-15 02:18

Forum Posts: 1364
Comments: 153
Reviews: 0
He could have ended the poem with "and then I have a sad sandwich", but I guess that'd have been a dead giveaway.
LucaM
2011-02-15 02:24

now wait a minute here. The Sad Keanu meme started in June, but the book must have been in work way before that. when he went to Germany in August last year he was discussing the final drafts of the book. In retrospective, I think Alexandra Grant was there as well... Anyway, an art book is not put together in two months. no self-respecting German publicist would do that ;)
what I mean is that there's probably no other connection between the book and the meme than pure coincidence.

... only I don't believe in coincidences :\\
IF Reeves' staff came up with the meme as a PR stunt... they definitely have learned a lesson. or several ;) :D

ARYA
2011-02-15 02:32

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
If I remember correctly Keanu wrote this poem for Janey. She may have been going on about how sad she was during her evening rituals the way many people do. Making everything into sadness is pointless of course and I would have told her to stfu already but Keanu is kind and appears to have patience with the people he trusts in his personal life. So he dashes off some lyrics to poke fun at the self berating Janey is doing. Being the superstar that he is and karmic connections being what they are, this snowballs into something that a publisher and an artist want a part in...and a book is published that he cared enough about to appear at the book release. Maybe a bit of a gift to Janey?
I would love to hear what the Q&A was and I think I read that it was taped.
Would also like to know where the proceeds will go. Didn't I read that Alexandra is involved with a charity? I guess time will give a few answers,
and btw I have the book on order when it comes to Amazon. :)

I agree with Luca that this book had nothing to do with sad keanu meme, except in the karmic way. And I don't think he is that sad.

Anakin McFly
2011-02-15 02:32

ADMIN

...darn.
ARYA
2011-02-15 02:42

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
PS, it's not so easy to post at the exact same second Anakin :)
LucaM
2011-02-15 04:36

this thread is on twitter. dunno if it's good or bad :\\

http://twitter.com/#!/iKeanufan/status/37239536626958337

Anakin McFly
2011-02-15 04:44

ADMIN

...:\\
Sephonae
2011-02-15 11:46

Forum Posts: 160
Comments: 3

He could have ended the poem with "and then I have a sad sandwich", but I guess that'd have been a dead giveaway.

I think I'd have preferred that.

I haven't been following the history of this book too closely - would some kind soul point me in the right direction? Is there a link y'all could direct me to?

I'd prefer to believe the poem's a response to the meme or an in-joke of sorts. Otherwise, the last line in it kinda sticks in my craw.

(I apologize in advance if it seems I'm trying to start something icky, here - I'm certainly not. I'm just feeling a negative reaction to it and wanting more insight, is all.)

inkhuldra
2011-02-15 17:51

What I love about this site is that it's OK to say that we don't think all of Keanu's work is brilliant. I wanted to like the poem, especially because the first line we got to see was "I draw a hot sorrow bath". It was short, beautiful, mysterious and evocative. Unfortunately (for me at least) the rest of it didn't live up to the promise of that first line.

I'd like to know whether the poem is about himself or about his friend Janey. I can picture him writing it on the spot in her kitchen as a joking response to her lamenting about her sad and lonely bath before going to bed the night before, or something like that. Then Janey takes the poem to her friend Alexandra Grant, and they get the idea that it would be fun to illustrate it. So they take the idea back to Keanu, and he thinks "hey, that could be fun". And so it just sort of took off from there.

Just my random guess, of course.

seer
2011-02-15 17:54

Forum Posts: 330
Comments: 131
Artistic souls rail at the Fates frequently, and poetry is dependent on the self that is expressing. And the self that is interpreting as well. Anything art is fluid enough to appeal and apply to both the source and the receiver. To me for instance the poem just says "I'm alone." which he is, at least in a manner of speaking - and as was mentioned the words could have been produced with anything or one in mind at the time :).

I agree that it's unlikely to have anything to do with the meme other than the ever-crossing silk strands of the etheric web that weave the basis for what we uncomfortably label coincidence ;).

As to whether it's a good poem or a not so good poem - it evidently suited him enough for inclusion in the work and I'm not inclined to second guess his purposes (with this One, always a fruitless - though entertaining - endeavor ;).

LucaM
2011-02-15 18:20

first of all, let's remember it's an art book . I suppose the text works better with the images. won't know 'till I get my own copy of the book, which won't happen 'till summer.

and even then... as seer said, it's all about perception. and personal interpretation. and all that.

personally, I'm drawn to the when the hue has gone blue/ and you cant quite grin and bear it part because so far ( occasional online rants aside ;) ) I could, I always could 'grin and bear it'. afraid to think what will happen when the hue will go dark blue... :\\

*shrugs*
not coherent today, but what else is new :(

inkhuldra
2011-02-15 19:13

I too am drawn to "when the hue has gone blue/ and you cant quite grin and bear it", because while I get the feeling that the description of the bath is a bit tongue-in-cheek, that particular line sounds like he's finally opening up. Everything before that sounds to me like "hey, this is me mocking myself for feeling down when I'm really so privileged, down to the silk pj's". And then the tone suddenly changes to genuine hurt - it turns to blue - and the grin that was present in the preceding lines vanishes. Now, at last, he's being truly honest.
LucaM
2011-02-15 19:25

... apparently the poem was inspired by Janey .
someone at the CK forum gives a full summary of the talk at the book signing. go read there, it's interesting.
inkhuldra
2011-02-16 02:09

Thanks for the tip, LucaM. I checked out the CK forum earlier when there wasn't yet any posts about the actual talk. Glad I didn't miss that. Makes the poem much easier to understand.

Here's a link to some new info on Alexandra Grant's site:

http://alexandragrant.com/art/collaboration/ode-to-happiness/

And finally I see what that picture is supposed to represent. It's not a bullfrog in a seashell, it's a bathtub with funny ink splotches on it. Silly me! Why didn't I see that right away? (Actually I like it)

inkhuldra
2011-02-16 02:14

Here's the full report from Twitter member Katelin, who was at the presentation:

http://prettysandyfeet.com/2011/02/15/the-full-keanu-story/

LucaM
2011-02-16 02:31

well of course it was a bathtub, what else could it be ? ;) :D

thanks for the links !

TheTangerine
2011-02-16 11:37

Forum Posts: 385
Comments: 33
Reviews: 2
I liked the towel part.

...K knows where his towel is...

1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.