WINM Forums :: The Reeves Report :: working on a book ?

1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

working on a book ?
AdriannaM.
2011-02-17 02:02

Forum Posts: 424
Comments: 24
Reviews: 1
This is what a poem about sorrow looks like:

The sweet smell of a great sorrow lies over the land
Plumes of smoke rise and merge into the leaden sky:
A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers,
But awakes to a morning with no reason for waking

He's haunted by the memory of a lost paradise
In his youth or a dream, he can't be precise
He's chained forever to a world that's departed
It's not enough, it's not enough

His blood has frozen & curdled with fright
His knees have trembled & given way in the night
His hand has weakened at the moment of truth
His step has faltered

One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

It's not enough it's not enough
His hand has faltered

And he talks to the river of lost love and dedication
And silent replies that swirl invitation
Flow dark and troubled to an oily sea
A grim intimation of what is to be

There's an unceasing wind that blows through this night
And there's dust in my eyes, that blinds my sight
And silence that speaks so much louder that words,
Of promises broken

-Pink Floyd

Sorry, I love K and everything, but I'm not understanding what he's trying to do here. Is it supposed to be a joke? I don't think sorrow, depression, self-hatred and suicidal feelings are in any way funny. Sorrow can be beautiful, artistic, and even spiritual for some. It's a complex emotion which has given birth to some of the greatest art in the world. Does it really need to be trivialized and made cheesy? Parodied? Dumbed down for the dumb masses? Must all our sacramental wine be turned into Kool-Aid?

LucaM
2011-02-17 02:14

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
Adri, please... let's not compare oranges and apples...
Pink Floyd lyrics are above comparison with anything ( except maybe Shakespeare and Milton) K's little tongue-in-cheek poem is a friendly tease around the kitchen table; it's like the 'Reeves ditties' he used to compose ...
let's keep everything in its context...
he's not trivializing or parodying anything. it's just dry, bitter Reeves humor.
some people like it, some people don't ;)

just my thoughts, of course.

AdriannaM.
2011-02-17 03:03

But what is the message? I'm confused. Who's Janey? What is he trying to say to us?

I understand the sentiment that one shouldn't take themselves so seriously. Someone going through a depression may have a hard time taking things lightly, but . . . I don't know :( How is this literature? Could any unknown writer get something like that published? I'm so confused? Maybe you guys can enlighten me. I was expecting something much different considering how intelligent, insightful and awesome he is D: Maybe that's the message - don't expect things :P

LucaM
2011-02-17 03:36

Maybe that's the message - don't expect things

... ahem ;)
was going to type in the previous post ' don't bring your expectations to that kitchen table', but I see you got the idea ;) :D

okay.
what's the message? I don't know what the message was intended to be; all I know is what I 'got' from the little poem : that no matter how bad it gets, irony and self-deprecation can get you through. but that's just my take on it. yours will be different, and it's okay, it's supposed to be so.

who's Janey? his PA since Constantine and a friend ( as the book presentation says).

what's he trying to tell us ? see above.
how is this literature? who said it is?
Could any unknown writer get something like that published? most probably not.

I don't have all the answers, Adri; actually, I have none. but what I've learned over the years in all things concerning Keanu Reeves is that he will never ever conform to anyone's expectations. Except for one thing : give his utmost best at acting. the rest... is always a surprise. ;)

bah, here I am defending K's little poem... *shakes head* kitty's gone crazy, it seems. but what can I say? I love the irony of it. you don't have to. but don't dismiss it because it's not something it was never intended to be...

will shut up now. going to draw a hot fandom bubble bath and drown myself in it ;) :D
( see, there can be waaaay more awful writing. ;) )

AdriannaM.
2011-02-17 04:59

LOL :D

I understand what you mean. Sorry to berate our idol's poem. I'm gonna go eat a disappointment sandwich and choke on it ;)

LucaM
2011-02-17 05:04

on second thought, let's go get drunk together. :D
AdriannaM.
2011-02-17 05:09

Okay, that does sound like more fun :D
TheTangerine
2011-02-17 05:27

Forum Posts: 385
Comments: 33
Reviews: 2
whoa whoa whoa let's keep this discussion alcohol and drug free, there are minors here!

(getting drunk does sound fun. But I won't do it.)

inkhuldra
2011-02-17 05:33

Forum Posts: 1364
Comments: 153
Reviews: 0
Looks like the first posting of Ode to Happiness had some errors in it. Not just typos -- there's actually a line missing, too. Someone over at Club Keanu has posted a correct version, and it goes like this:

I draw a hot sorrow bath
In my despair room
With a misery candle burning
I wash my hair with regret shampoo
After cleaning myself with pain soap
I dry myself with my gorgeous white
One hundred percent and it will never change towel
Then smooth on my I don't deserve lotion
And I hate myself face cream
Then I put on my alone again silk pajamas
And go to sleep
When the hue has gone blue
And you can't quite grin and bear it
Let this word picture remind you
It can always be worse

LucaM
2011-02-17 05:55

ink - thanks.

the added line doesn't make it a masterpiece, though ;) :D

nafsunaek
2011-02-17 09:05

Forum Posts: 491
Comments: 111
Not a masterpiece, but after a few reads it gets better...
Anakin McFly
2011-02-17 09:07

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Whatever the case, it is exceedingly quotable.
Sephonae
2011-02-17 12:59

Forum Posts: 160
Comments: 3

...K knows where his towel is...

Hoopy froods do.

I don't think sorrow, depression, self-hatred and suicidal feelings are in any way funny. Sorrow can be beautiful, artistic, and even spiritual for some. It's a complex emotion which has given birth to some of the greatest art in the world. Does it really need to be trivialized and made cheesy? Parodied? Dumbed down for the dumb masses? Must all our sacramental wine be turned into Kool-Aid?

That's how I felt after I read the thing the first time through.

Thanks to everyone who posted links or referrals to CK, I appreciate all the info. I'm trying to accept the in-joke thing but, I dunno. I can't yet shake the sour feeling in my stomach from that last line. Though I agree that some of the lines in it are clever.

seer
2011-02-17 21:41

Forum Posts: 330
Comments: 131
Guys, I suggest any dissecting of the prose/poetry wait until after the entire book has been read by the dissector ;). It's a body of work and perhaps was compiled within a related period of time, so that it may take reading all of the components in order to get the complete picture - if picture there is at all. It may also be a gathering together of years of sprouts - from periods when the words meant something specific to K that no longer applies, so that now only he may remember and understand why he felt those words.

As for what is he communicating to us/anyone - not necessarily anything at all :). Poetry is probably the singularly most personal form of communication. While it can often suit the interpretation of any or all readers, it can just as often mean nothing at all to anyone other than the author him/herself ;). And being as personal as it is, it's not always even about communicating at all - it's sometimes just about the sound of one's own voice.

It's even possible that this collaboration is more about the visual artist than the author, with Janey simply the conduit to get things rolling.

In any event, expectation - the lack of same - is usually the key with Keanu, we're free to think what we will but in the end only he knows ;).

Donna_J
2011-02-18 20:46

Forum Posts: 264
Comments: 3
OMG! Again I missed the most interesting -Keanu's poem discussion! When I read it I was like: "OMG, it's awful!". Now I know why.Because I was trying hard to find there some ...I don't know...high meaning.I failed.
Now I know there is no such meaning in all this.Just look at the poem and realize that the name of the book is "Ode to Happiness". Happiness and "sorrow bath"! ;D . It's a pure irony.He is mocking. And we all know His humor is VERY special!(we discussed it so many times here ).
P.S I have so much to say, but I'm afraid I'll repeat the same just in other words. So far I know two thing:
1) He is FAAAAR Away from standarts.
2)We'll never get bored with Him :D
LucaM
2011-02-19 00:08

... I WISH he'll write that 'Haiku to Hope' thing.
if only to read the reactions to it ;) :D :D

LucaM
2011-02-19 02:46

http://knownaliases.blogspot.com/2011/02/art-keanu-reeves.html

there you go, kids. more info on the genesis of the book.

Anakin McFly
2011-02-19 02:47

ADMIN

...i should post these on the site at some point.
but i am being distracted by RP. :|
LucaM
2011-02-19 02:49

well give Neo a sleeping pill and take a break from RP. :D
and Smudge can take care of himself for about 10 minutes... ;)
Anakin McFly
2011-02-19 07:37

ADMIN

...ok, done.
that took 16 minutes. :|

1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.