WINM Forums :: The Films of Keanu Reeves :: Passengers gets a director!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Passengers gets a director!
MmeRenard
2014-12-08 21:00:14

Forum Posts: 1101
Comments: 48
Reviews: 0
Great post, Luca, thank you.

He'll be at Sundance. A chat with Robert Redford (and a part in one of Mr Redford's films!) might be helpful (or not). Why do I say this? They're both "leading men" known widely for being beautiful, but both seem much deeper, concerned with great stories (and literature into film), with BIG ideas.

And yes, I am angry with the universe and the industry that others with far less creative vision, understanding of the craft and acting skill get films made. I think he is a great actor - not everyone agrees with me. His acting seems very TRUE to me, sometimes just brilliant, sometimes a bit awkward (as humans are), but always very genuine.

Misty2014-12-09 04:27:59

Forum Posts: 67
Comments: 2
Reviews: 5
He might have given a hint one year ago: (http://www.whoaisnotme.net/articles/2013_1029_int.htm)

Even when describing the typical Hollywood story of development hell, Reeves took on an air of transcendentalism. "The energy kind of rippled out and rippled out and entropy reigned."

Though it was actually referred to another project (Dr. Jekyll), this statement could show how sometimes there are inescapable difficulties and unavoidable adjustments in bringing out his stories as they were used to be.
MmeRenard
2014-12-09 06:55:41

I freaking HATE it when entropy reigns (and I'm totally plaigiarising that at every opportunity!)
Scarletter2014-12-12 08:19:47

Forum Posts: 4
Comments: 0
he's OUT
he's officially OUT
IMDb took Passengers OUT of his movies-to-do list
IMDb took his name OUT of the cast of Passengers (which now has no cast, because...)

they are starting from scratch, right?
well, I hope they get fleas in their beds and they scratch themselves somewhere it hurts really bad!

years ago I told myself I would read only a couple of pages of the script (just to see what it's like...) and ended up spending a day reading the whole thing.

and now, he's OUT!

if Stallone did the same with Rocky... REALLY STUPID, Keanu!

MmeRenard
2014-12-12 20:56:40

Um, I don't think he's "OUT" because he is stupid. I don't think it is his decision, even.

Welcome to the forums. Who are you again? and if you're just here to say that Keanu is "stupid," pal, did you ever come to the wrong place for you are crunchy and likely to taste good with ketchup, or sauteed almondine with a nice Burgundy

Unless you are in fact Keanu, in which case, hey, how's it going man?

Joke
2014-12-12 22:58:00

Forum Posts: 380
Comments: 1
Imdb is user updated, so changes there aren't official (most of the time anyway).

Agree with MmeRenard that if Keanu is out, it would be because it's out of his control.

Still hoping we get to see Keanu in this.

LucaM
2014-12-13 20:09:13

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13

if Stallone did the same with Rocky... REALLY STUPID, Keanu!

well, you see, there's a little stupid difference between the two cases; a little stupid detail like Stallone did write Rocky himself, while Keanu didn't actually write Passengers, even if it was commissioned by him. The rights to the script belong to Spaihts and we don't know in which terms he sold the script to Company Films, but there's that stupid mention in the Deadline article about 'a competitive situation with the rights to Passengers' and another stupid mention about 'All the while, Moritz had been tracking it and when it became free, he and De Luca were all over it.'.
So stupid or not, looks like legally he had to let it go.
Stupid, indeed.
MmeRenard
2014-12-13 20:48:53

Thank you, Luca. It's not like he actively chose to let it go when he could have kept it. And yes, it REALLY pisses me off whem someone calls Keanu "stupid" because that is the very last thing he seems to be, from what I know, in my opinion.
Bottom line, lawyers suck.
Scarletter2014-12-15 18:16:43

Forum Posts: 4
Comments: 0
ok, let's see

1. did i say Keanu is stupid? if you are so kind and point it out to me, i promise i'll eat the whole thing

crunchy and likely to taste good with ketchup, or sauteed almondine with a nice Burgundy

but i won't because i didn't.
what i said was... "REALLY STUPID, Keanu!"
we all learn the semantics of the phrase in school and you do see a comma there, don't you?
so the meaning of the text is... "what you did was really stupid, Keanu!"
if i wanted to call him stupid, there would be no comma in that text, like... "really stupid Keanu!"
now, you see the difference?
and i don't think he's stupid and it would bother me if somebody called him stupid.
so chill out, i like him too, but... sometimes... even smart people do stupid things.
and this takes me to number

2. i disagree that - strictly my opinion -

don't think it is his decision

and that

it's out of his control.

and that

The rights to the script belong to Spaihts and we don't know in which terms he sold the script to Company Films

i think he was in (some kind of) control of the script.
from what i know (if i'm wrong, shoot Anakin :), the story was his idea and he paid this guy Spaihts to write the script.
ok, i don't know much about US law, but think it this way:
a simple premise - singer pays composer to write a song for him. who has the copyright of the song? the singer, cause the composer was hired and paid for his work. the composer will indeed owe the credit of writing the lyrics and/or the music, but never the copyright (yeah, it all depends on the agreement and if such an agreement even exists...).
so, my conclusion is listed under number

3. due to the fact that the movie is a big budget deal and he isn't exactly a bankable actor lately, i think the studios wanted to make the movie, but not with him playing the lead.
so, between the movie not being made and being made with somebody else playing the character, to me, looks like he chose to let it go.
which, to me, is really stupid, because it's not gonna to be the same, not even close.

last, but not least, was never my intention to step on anybody's tail. should i apologize if what i wrote was misinterpreted? dunno.

LucaM
2014-12-15 19:11:31

the story was his idea and he paid this guy Spaihts to write the script.

And yet on the front page of the script it says 'by Jon Spaihts'. And according to the WGA, the script belongs to Spaihts until he sells it to a producer; and the contract can have various deadline clauses. And I repeat what I wrote in my previous post: we don't know in which conditions it was sold. It is my assumption, based on those lines in the Deadline article that CF was bound to get it produced in a certain no. of years and if not, the rights to the script revert back to Spaihts.

So again, to me it sounds like Company Films had reached the contractual deadline and was legally bound to let it go - or get it produced until a certain term.

Because otherwise, if it were only about a choice of not getting the movie made or getting it made without Reeves attached in any capacity, the article wouldn't have mentioned the 'situation with the rights to the script' and the fact that 'it became free'.

Sitting on the script and sulking, saying it shan't be made unless he stars in the movie would have been indeed stupid - and childish. Company Films has contractual obligations which need to be met.

But hey, it's Sony who bought it, right? Maybe some of those 'leaked'emails the press so happily publishes these days will shed some light on this whole matter, too...

MmeRenard
2014-12-15 20:55:22

Very nice and well-tempered response, Luca.

LucaM
2014-12-15 21:49:05

Thanks, Mme :)

Of course, everything I post is just my opinion... and it's not like I can't be wrong.

MmeRenard
2014-12-15 22:00:57

Well, you're whole lot more right than some people, that's for darned sure!

Why on earth would anyone here be offended by "REALLY STUPID, Keanu!"?

MmeRenard
2014-12-15 22:02:17

Now, the "demon ride" motorcycle thing is possibly more than borderline, but having done FAR more than my share of overtly STUPID things, I don't feel like I'm in ANY position to judge Keanu, especially not knowing any actual facts. Duh.
LucaM
2015-01-28 04:59:03

http://deadline.com/2015/01/morten-tyldum-passengers-the-imitation-game-sony-1201359938/

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/imitation-game-director-morten-tyldum-in-talks-for-sony-space-tale-passengers-1201416509/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/imitation-game-director-tackling-sci-767652

Anakin McFly
2015-01-28 09:38:42

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
Awesome!
bliss
2015-01-28 09:58:30

Forum Posts: 146
Comments: 7
I wonder who the new cast will be???
LucaM
2015-02-07 18:37:44

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/jennifer-lawrence-passengers-new-movie-hunger-games-1201426676/
becauseichooseto22
2015-02-07 20:37:31

Forum Posts: 132
Comments: 2
Oh well... It seems that ship has sailed for Mr. Reeves :/
LucaM
2015-05-07 05:04:29

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jennifer-lawrences-salary-drama-20m-793753

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.