WINM Forums :: Off-Topic Chat :: MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS (non keanu)

1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS (non keanu)
ARYA
2012-05-16 01:09

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
I can only get The Leopard out of those 3 titles you mentioned gulbie. I put it on my netflix queue. Thanks!
ARYA
2012-05-17 11:23

I may have recommended this one previously.

Vajra Sky Over Tibet

I highly recommend this 90 min documentary to everyone. So much history for such a short investment of time and its purely beautiful to watch and hear. The dance sequence in the extras is exquisite. And the short speech from Tensin L Chogyeal is not to be missed.

fractal2012-05-18 07:28

Forum Posts: 6
Comments: 1
Reviews: 0
You know, guys... It is great to read each other postings and compare notes but, more often than not, we will be talking past each other.

What I mean is, at different stages in our lives we need to see and experience different things in very different ways. Films are like lacmus/litmus papers, and it is not that *we* find the films we need, but, rather, the films we need to see somehow manage to find us.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but there are so many films that have "grown up" with us (or on us); and when we watch them again as time passes, we discover different things in them and in ourselves. Kinda, watching a familiar movie, in time we walk through a different gallery of distorted mirrors, only to discover new aspects and novel perspectives.

I love the way the magic works. What about you? Do you step into the same (film)river twice?

ARYA
2012-05-18 11:11

No, I've never stepped into the same river twice. :) And I am all about the magic of the moment.
I did not realize that film magic until later in my life and I tend to credit Keanu's movies for that. Not just their content but seeing them so many times there is always something I missed or saw differently. So between his movie choices and my due diligence (yes, that's what I'm calling it...) of watching them I came to a less rigid mindset.
This quote comes to mind too.

“I don’t like the idea of “understanding” a film. I don’t believe that rational understanding is an essential element in the reception of any work of art. Either a film has something to say to you or it hasn’t. If you are moved by it, you don’t need it explained to you. If not, no explanation can make you moved by it.”
— Federico Fellini

Although I may recommend this or that film, it's just a suggestion.

BTW I was trying to view The Help tonight but there is no way I could sit through that. I did watch all of Shame but it's another film I will not have to see again. Even if Fassbender is naked, a lot.

gulbie
2012-05-18 21:57

Forum Posts: 261
Comments: 17

I can only get The Leopard out of those 3 titles you mentioned gulbie. I put it on my netflix queue. Thanks!

:( I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed by The Leopard". the american version is shorter of 1 hour than the italian original version and the dubbed dialogues are completely different in the two versions :-( at the release time, Visconti had a fight with the american distributor.

---------
for the other movies: maybe those 3 movies are too europeans for a world wide distribution.

ARYA
2012-05-19 04:21

Good to know that gulbie cuz I can get the Italian version too. I just thought it would be the same. Silly me. I will change it on my list.

The Leopard (Italian Version)
1963NR185 minutes

In this war drama set in 1860s Sicily, Prince Don Fabrizio Salina (Burt Lancaster) attempts to hold onto the glory he once knew, while his nephew, Tancredi Falconeri (Alain Delon), has joined opposition forces and is being heralded as a war hero. As Falconeri begins to fall for Angelica (Claudia Cardinale), the daughter of the town's new mayor, Don Calogero Sedara (Paolo Stoppa), Salina must learn to accept his changing political status.

Cast:
Burt Lancaster, Claudia Cardinale, Alain Delon, Paolo Stoppa, Rina Morelli, Romolo Valli, Mario Girotti, Lucilla Morlacchi, Giuliano Gemma, Pierre Clémenti, Ida Galli
Director:
Luchino Visconti
Genres:
Dramas, Foreign Movies, Foreign Dramas, Art House Movies, Italian Movies
Language:
Italian
This movie is:
Cerebral
Availability:
DVD and Blu-ray

In DVD Queue

ARYA
2012-05-19 04:27

@LucaM, I am in the middle of Puncture and it is good to see Evans out of that Captain America thing.
LucaM
2012-05-20 23:42

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
... isn't it ? ;)
ARYA
2012-05-20 23:46

@LucaM, It was a good biopic. I was able to watch it from beginning to end. However, I have never seen those needles used anywhere.
LucaM
2012-05-20 23:54

me either :(
... which is exactly the point of the movie, after all.
ARYA
2012-06-09 22:52

I heard Kenneally mention this doc he did in 2004 and I can recommend it. Lot of good extras about NYC. Even mentions the Sunshine Theater where HC premiered.

Crazy Legs Conti: Zen and the Art of Competitive Eating (2004) NR

Crazy Legs Conti -- a man who would (and did) eat his way out of an 8-foot box of popcorn to promote a movie -- is the subject of this documentary about the world of competitive eating. Following Conti on his journey from passionate fan to serious contestant on the competitive eating circuit, the film reveals a fascinating subculture dominated by capacious-stomached giants like Mo Ribs, Crawfish Nick and Cooke Jarvis.

Genre:
Documentaries, Social & Cultural Documentaries

This movie is:
Feel-good

Availability:
DVD

ARYA
2012-07-10 09:39

Here I am practicing saying "l'enfant terrible" after hearing keanu use the phrase, and the classic embodyment is what this story is made of.
I can recommend but its no feel good movie. Be forewarned.

We Need to Talk About Kevin
2011R112 minutes

Eva's relationship with her son, Kevin, has been difficult from the beginning. When the 15-year-old boy's cruel streak erupts into violence, Eva wonders how much blame she deserves for his actions.

Cast:
Tilda Swinton, John C. Reilly, Ezra Miller, Jasper Newell, Rocky Duer, Ashley Gerasimovich, Siobhan Fallon, Alex Manette, Joseph Melendez
Director:
Lynne Ramsay
Genres:
Dramas, Independent Movies, Crime Dramas, Dramas based on a book, Independent Dramas, British Movies, Dramas based on contemporary literature, British Dramas
This movie is:
Cerebral, Dark, Scary

Trinity
2012-07-10 17:29

Forum Posts: 49
Now something lighter :-)

My recommendation is Knight and Day

Very, very funny with good lines and characters, Cruise & Diaz at their best... I saw it ca. 5 times and still laugh a lot :-) A good summer movie.

Here is the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGPl86DBNNs

ARYA
2012-07-26 22:54

Cloud Atlas not released till fall but I can already recommend it. Trailer has been pulled from the internet. the russian club still has it up. Go look!
vk.com
lizaird2012-07-26 23:32

Forum Posts: 70
Reviews: 1
Here is the link for the trailer:

http://collider.com/cloud-atlas-movie-trailer/183689/

I have been waiting for this movie for forever and I haven't had such a really good vibe about a film in a really long time. Release date says October so I am very excited.

Joke
2012-07-26 23:37

Forum Posts: 380
Plot sounds interesting and they have a good cast (even though I dislike Tom Hanks). I'll put Cloud Atlas on my watchlist. Release date overhere is November 29th though :-(.
ARYA
2012-07-26 23:55

http://www.joblo.com/video/player.php?video=cloud-atlas-long-trailer

I am also off Tom Hanks in general. Would've loved to see Reeves with the W's again.
ARYA
2012-07-27 00:00

Thanks for then link lizaird. Of course reeves too busy to do this movie even if he was asked, but wouldn't it been nice to see Halle Berry and him over the 6 lifetimes?
LucaM
2012-07-27 00:08

... did anyone notice that this would be the W's second movie - after the Matrix- with Hugo Weaving? No other collaboration with Keanu, though.

of course, putting those two in the same movie ever again would be a mistake. but still.

lizaird2012-07-27 00:17

Forum Posts: 70
Reviews: 1
I am and have been on a Joseph Gordon Levitt kick for a while so I am looking forward to Looper. Interesting weird note I always thought Joseph would be an excellent pick for Keanu as a movie "son" if required. However most movie people have Keanu still in his 20's and therefor the idea of him having a 20 something son is impossible - even though Keanu is coming up on 50.

1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.