WINM Forums :: The Website :: Away until 25 June

1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Away until 25 June
Giladora
2011-06-28 00:18

Forum Posts: 165
Comments: 22
Reviews: 0

stop freaking out. the worst that can happen is that he reads the home page of the site. or, even worse, that he writes a haiku about WINM ;)

Lmao..Luca :D " a haiku about WINM " .. lmaoo

LucaM
2011-06-28 00:52

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
hey, we can dream ;) :D
MJ2011-06-28 00:56

Forum Posts: 20
Comments: 1
@AdriannaM: Bingo! I knew there would be someone to tell me I don't have to post if I don't like it!BTW you mistake passing judgement for giving one's opinion. And I was just giving my opinion about what I still feel is not respectful.

@inkhuldra: Even if Keanu isn't a "closed-offf celeb" and even if he decided he didn't want to live behind 10ft walls, it doesn't mean we have the right to peek through a glass slit in the entrance door.

@anakin: Is LA a big zoo where the stars are like animals in cages watched by tourists in tour buses? What's this fascination with celebs'private life? It might be part of the show but still it's tough.

inkhuldra
2011-06-28 07:44

Forum Posts: 1364
Comments: 153
MJ, what is this fascination with celebs at all? Why do we want to connect with them, even if it's just to get their autograph? Most of us never get that opportunity, yet still many of us will go to pretty great lengths to do so.

I know -- I travelled from Norway to Chicago to be an unpaid extra in Chain Reaction. Didn't get to meet Keanu that way, but did so by other means while I was there, if just ever so briefly. I did, however, get someone on the set to smuggle me down into the underground tunnels where they filmed the particle accelerator scenes, and I sneakingly watched Keanu there from a distance of probably 30 metres for a total of perhaps 30 seconds while he waited between takes. (Getting down there actually involved running as fast as possible through abandoned tunnels poisoned by nuclear radiation, so it felt really risky and adventurous. And scary.)

Things fans do to "connect" to Keanu often doesn't involve the man himself, and someone doing the tourist thing at his unfenced house while he's definitely not home isn't something I personally would call intrusive. You are, of course, free to disagree, as everyone is free to disagree with you. Fandom comes in all shapes and forms, and nobody but Keanu himself has the right to pass judgement on what's intrusive. Personally, I think he'd have moved to a fenced-in house many years ago if Anakin's mode of approach had been something he deemed unacceptable, because he's undoubtedly seen loads of fans do the same thing while he's been at home, and they've probably rung his doorbell as well.

ARYA
2011-06-28 10:01

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
I see no problem in Anakins adventure in keanuland. Get over yourself MJ. And yes you are a killjoy.
Giladora
2011-06-28 10:51

Duh , Inkhuldra !! you really did that!! 0_0 that was hell of a story !! Good for you!! I'm saying these regardless of "seeing Keanu" ..

I guess , What I mean is , when someone goes for whatever they NEED at the moment , and goes as far as where you went , is Interesting and quit Impressive.. liked that ! from Norway to Chicago :)

Anakin McFly
2011-06-28 11:19

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1

What's this fascination with celebs'private life?

There are whole books on this. I might do my thesis paper on it. :\\

In my case, my fascination is limited to only a few celebrities - those who, like Keanu, have touched my life in some way and made it richer through their existence. Other celebrities and their private lives don't interest me if they haven't had that similar influence, and my exposure to them is limited to watching them on the screen.

With Keanu - I've been a fan for years. Having read and written so much about him, there was that thrill of being able to be at a place I'd previously only heard talked about online, or written about in stories. This was the house where one of my role models spent his time and which he called home. It felt almost like a pilgrimage.

It wasn't so much about Keanu himself as what he and that home represented to me. I might have in fact been more nervous if I'd known he was home, and if he'd been home I doubt I would have gone up so closely to the house so as to respect his privacy. But I knew that he was off in London, and the house was just a building, no different from the many other buildings in L.A. I took photographs of, including houses (I have a personal interest in architecture). I would have been likewise fascinated by it if he no longer lived there.

So it... wasn't so much about Keanu as it was about me. And perhaps that was a bit selfish, yes; I've considered that, so I appreciate your concerns and don't want you to feel unwelcome here, because I know where you're coming from. But at the same time it was something I needed to do. To see that the place was real, and that whole chunk of my life had a basis in reality that wasn't confined to mere words and images on a screen.

It made my fandom real. It gave it a concrete meaning that it previously didn't have. That Keanu is a real person who exists on this planet like the rest of us normal folk, not some ephemeral star on an eternally-unreachable plane of reality that I could only ever look at, and never truly engage.

ARYA
2011-06-28 11:49

@inkhuldra. That was a fun story. Thanks for sharing.
ARYA
2011-06-28 11:56

Ani !! you did a brave thing . and your note in is cute and very decent . I'm sure he would like that :)

I think Giladora hit on something here. I also think Keanu would like it. Might just be that MJ is newer to the fandom and hasn't read as much about him as others have.

Giladora
2011-06-28 13:12

But at the same time it was something I needed to do. To see that the place was real, and that whole chunk of my life had a basis in reality that wasn't confined to mere words and images on a screen.

THAT..liked what you wrote

@ARYA : Yes! If we wanna be SO REAL about it ,Okay ! Keanu MAY forget about it after some minutes, but I'm sure in THOSE minutes and moments , he's wearing an ""SMILE"" :) and that's SOMETHING , SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL ..

I Simply find it impossible not to like "THAT" note :)..

Maybe MJ is new to Fandom .. and if he figures out that how much Keanu respect His fans , he would understand it :D

at the end , There's a crack in everything , That's how light gets in ( said Leonard Cohen )

AdriannaM.
2011-06-28 15:29

Forum Posts: 424
Comments: 24
I don't think that any of this has anything to do with his private life, though. I don't personally care about his private life, and we don't even discuss that here. We are respectful and I just don't think that we are horrible people for subtly trying to catch his attention, trying to meet him, thanking him for his work and the impact it has had on our lives. As long as we are not disrespectful, insulting or threatening, I don't see what the big deal is.

If I could write a thank you note to Aldous Huxley for Brave New World, I would. People create art for other people to appreciate and great actors are no different. Keanu is a fine artist who is happy to know that his work inspires and obviously is not resentful of his fans' appreciation. He takes the time to meet his fans, sign autographs, listen to "thank you"s and take pictures. When I met him in Woodstock, he stood outside the theater patiently for a long time while smitten fans elatedly but graciously enjoyed the opportunity of meeting him. Nobody asked any inappropriate questions, nobody was rude or creepy. It was harmless. If nobody approached him at all and just went about their business after the movie, he probably would have felt like a jackass just standing there.

We here are not the asshole fans, we respect our man. If someone sticks a thank you note in my door, I don't feel violated, I feel good that I could bring someone happiness and I appreciate them taking the time to let me know. Now that other note, that we talked about a while back - that was obtrusive.

LucaM
2011-06-28 20:54

Adrianna- help me, I'm getting old.
which other note?
AdriannaM.
2011-06-28 21:40

Forum Posts: 424
Comments: 24
The one that starts out like this . . .

LETTER TO KEANU

You have never felt the tinted windows so sheer, the eyes so lowered and the headache so intense. You start wondering how long do you have to the hotel. Finally, you get there. The streets almost deserted, ringing in the distance and some lost fans. All you want to do is to pass by them or to shout you are just a normal human being. Not one as they think you are, but a normal, ordinary man, with both joys and sorrows.

This one, I would not personally advise anyone to give him.

inkhuldra
2011-06-28 23:36

Forum Posts: 1364
Comments: 153
Oh god, yes, that one! Oh horror. Did anyone give it to him, though? I can't recall the story, just the awfulness that was the letter itself.
ARYA
2011-06-29 00:05

That letter writer needed to hear O2H bigtime. :)
LucaM
2011-06-29 00:45

oh. THAT. from what I've read, the plan was to post it all over the internet.
... it's one of those moments when I'm glad he doesn't google himself.

but hey, it's a free world... they have a right to post it just like I have a right to dislike it...

Giladora
2011-06-29 02:37

Gee. haha "THE PLAN" was to post it all over Internet !!?? it's just the semi-poetic version of what other people write about Keanu and of course about Other people ..
MJ2011-06-29 04:53

Forum Posts: 20
Comments: 1
@anakin: thank you for your very considerate and kind answer.

Next time I will think twice before posting, if I ever post again. I've been a fan of keanu for a long time. So I'll go back to my own little world!

seer
2011-06-29 09:06

Forum Posts: 330
Comments: 131
Hoo..kay, gotta stick my .02 in here of course ;).

MJ ya gotta admit that your 'tone' was a little severe, we don't usually get in each others faces like that here ;). Now, that said, I agree with you - to a point - that it is a possibly rude thing to have snapped the interior picture. However.. all else that Ani did was, as was mentioned, actually normal and has nothing to do with being a celebrity / fan at all. Look at it in this light - if K weren't Keanu Reeves - A list actor, would it have startled you that someone approached his front door and left him a message? Or that they actually took a peek in the window? We're social animals, we like to 'connect', we're conditioned to do that in whatever manner we can manage it - watch every third piece of film, no matter the story line or subject, and see if at some point some character doesn't actually take a peek in the window of a house or leave a note, whether in a mailbox or slipped under the door, taped to the window, etc (ok, that's probably a slight exaggeration, but this IS why we have answering machines/voice mail, so we don't miss these attempts at connecting ;). The connecting is just the animal we are.

We're talking perspective here, as in keeping things in it. K is a star, he has fans, that skews normalcy quite a bit. Mobbing the ropes at public appearances, chasing them down the road with a camera, sticking microphones and/or cameras in their faces when they're trying to get from point A to point B (public or private venues) and approaching them at their table when they're in a restaurant having a meal are all truly intrusive actions - yet considered the norm in the life of an actor (I wish I had a dollar for every time someone commented "That's just the price of fame".. ;). 'Normal' doesn't apply, by heaping 'fame' upon them we rip the dynamics of 'normal' to shreds.

I understand your reaction, it's usually mine as well - I'd not do most of the usual things that fans do, but that's just who I am. And Ani's actions were benign, with the added plus of having delivered yet another message of 'you make a difference', which I think in K's case he particularly appreciates knowing - 'we' don't really tell him that often enough, not outright, in plain English - so it's pretty nice when someone makes the effort :).

Anakin McFly
2011-06-29 10:39

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
As a note - I didn't take that shot of the interior, my brother did. He was equally fascinated with the house.

@MJ - it's all right. I don't believe in censoring opinions here, so I'm glad you shared what you did.

1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.