WINM Forums :: The Website :: Away until 25 June

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]

Away until 25 June
lindawn
2014-09-20 08:31

Forum Posts: 102
Comments: 14
Reviews: 0
Well,I am now the brunt of the joke at the office. Everyone heard this story and they all know how much I adore K. I also just happened to have Tuesday and Wednesday off from work. So apparently unbeknownst to me,I took a trip to Cali and visited his house in the middle of the night!
Anakin McFly
2014-09-20 09:05

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
@LucaM - wait, he has a home library? :D

I'm curious if the stalker is anyone we know. But breaking into someone's house isn't even an imaginary line; it's a very clear one. It's not even up for debate.

MmeRenard
2014-09-20 09:24

Forum Posts: 1101
Comments: 48
Oh ha ha, he has a library. Dude has probably read pretty much everything. Baudrillard for light bedtime stories. Sheesh.

And this is no freaking (many really vile expletives deleted) joke, I entirely fail to see the "humor" in it. I had a drunk idiot kid break into my house at 1AM one morning and I could barely sleep for years after. He wasn't even dangerous, but the fact of someone else being in my home while I was sleeping? I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I wondered exactly the same thing, Anakin. This is not approaching an "imaginary line" - this is a crime and fully crazy behavior. Sick, dangerous, sad. As far as I can tell, this person was not armed but could have been. Keanu is careful to point out that he knows "movie kung fu" - Jesus, i have to stop even thinking about this.

Dude, wouldja please set your alarm???!!!

anita7722014-09-20 10:54

Forum Posts: 143
Comments: 6
So.... do you all still think it's ok for stalkers to put notes in his door, ring his doorbell, etc? Are you freaking happy now that someone got into his house?

Sorry to say, but I told you so. I'm so happy he wasn't hurt.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/gossip/la-et-mg-keanu-reeves-home-intruder-woman-20140919-story.html

Anakin McFly
2014-09-20 11:18

ADMIN

@anita772 - As I said, breaking into someone's house is not crossing an imaginary line but clearly committing a crime. Those other things are not. The idea is that with these things, there shouldn't be any double standards between how we react to someone who is a celebrity and someone who isn't.

People leave notes for non-celebrities at their houses all the time - heck, my family gets those every now and then under our door, mostly from strangers trying to sell us stuff, sometimes messages from neighbours who came by when we weren't home. People ring the doorbells of strangers all the time, like for instance neighbours they'd like to get to know, or distant relatives they managed to track down, and so on.

But break into someone's house in the middle of the night while they're sleeping, and just sit there? That's illegal, no matter who it is, friend or family or fan or foe. It's not even in the same ballpark. It's not even something whose legality or morality is debatable. The others are inconveniences or annoyances at worst, perhaps rude. But this is criminal.

anita7722014-09-20 11:37

Forum Posts: 143
Comments: 6
Anakin, you know my thoughts on this. It is not ok to leave stuff at a celebrity's home. It is not ok to harass them by ringing their doorbell. And of course, unlawful entry is... unlawful. It's a matter of respect.
Anakin McFly
2014-09-20 15:26

ADMIN

Fair enough. We probably just disagree on where that line is. I wouldn't ring celebrities' doorbells either, but it's still a matter of differing opinion; neither would I leave non-letter objects, because those can be potentially dangerous - people can hide all sorts of things in there - and you never even know if they're wanted; and it can be creepy. I wouldn't do that. If anyone left things outside my door I wouldn't dare touch them. But a simple unfolded note basically saying 'Hi Keanu, thanks for being an inspiration to so many of us'... it seems extremely innocuous, though I can respect that your opinion differs there. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me, though. I live on the other side of the planet in a tiny Asian country, I doubted if I'd ever be back in the US let alone that particular part of West Hollywood, and didn't feel like I could give up what might be the only opportunity in my life to ever let Keanu know how much he's meant to us and thank him for it. And yeah, I admit that that's selfish in a way, but it felt like such a harmless thing.

I think it's also worth noting that the latest intruder is thought to have mental health issues; sane people, obsessive fan or not, generally don't break into houses at 4am in the night and then just sit there doing nothing. So it's not as if this is common human behaviour, and even if there were a strict fandom culture of not doing things like that (and I don't think any fandom has ever remotely condoned breaking and entering), it's highly doubtful that it would stop people like that. Most of them have probably never even been to a fansite - those kinds of obsessions tend to be very private. So I don't think we can just point to those instances and consider them the natural result of any other fan behaviour, because those people are operating independently.

MmeRenard
2014-09-20 18:32

This is NOT the same as ordinary, curious, kindhearted fan behavior, which while it can be odd and maybe inconvenient or rude (approaching someone while they're dining is one that bugs me). This is criminal. Acts that aren't criminal are LEGAL, and unless such small acts are so consistent as to present a pattern that's disturbing or worse, escalating, they may be frowned upon but are still legal. Crazy behavior like this - news reports I've seen say that she was taken for mental health evaluation, and not arrested - is NOT like ordinary fan behavior.

Anakin, you are not selfish - one of the least selfish people I've seen online, in fact - and your note is sweet and not creepy. There is a big screeching line between that and CRIMINAL behavior.

I don't think this kind of lunacy is frequent among fans. I do think it exists. My recollection is that Isis DID post on fan sites, and there are some now (not here) who freak me out. I for one, and I invite others to join me in this, have every intention if I see something online that crosses the line or is getting there fast (clear intention of action that is potentially dangerous) to let someone know about it. If, as Anakin wondered, this crazy person (who does, let's remember, need help) is someone that we know and we could have done something to prevent it? I'm kind of sick if that were true.

Again, there's "unseemly" behavior and there's CRIMINAL behavior. Painting all fans with the crazy brush is not necessary or helpful.

MmeRenard
2014-09-20 18:33

sorry.

I am seeing more than I'd like of people treating this like a "joke" - would it be a joke if someone were sitting in your home in the middle of the night while you were sleeping? Karma is a bitch.

neaura
2014-09-20 19:46

Forum Posts: 247
Comments: 8
Well, the "imaginary line" I was referring to was that of self-restraint; something that one draws within one's mind regardless of the presence or absence of laws, decrees and rules. This line tends to be redrawn at times depending on the situation but never should it reach a stage as this. I guess that did not come through in my message. Criminal behaviour regardless of sanity is unacceptable because of the pain it causes another but in reality people tend to give some leeway in such cases and law does too.

What is creepy is that there are those who use it to their advantage. In such cases, yes Karma is what MmeRenard said it is and I am referring to the advantage-taking-criminal-lot in the world here. I can't really say how I will react to or if I will be able to forgive and let go of anyone who does that as I haven't experienced it personally but it is extremely disturbing to just hear it.

Having said that, I still do not think the note leaving was in anyway wrong. It was a cute gesture and it wasn't an act of crime. The thoughts I have penned here are of course in line with my beliefs and they might differ from that of others here in some ways and I absolutely respect that.

LucaM
2014-09-20 19:57

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
So it's 'alleged' , 'believed', it happened on Friday 12 at 5 am but no, it was Monday 15 at 4 am, and it all goes back to the TMZ story.

Sorry, but unless the various sites coordinate their gossip... there's a huge question mark on all this.

MmeRenard
2014-09-20 20:49

But LA's ABC news reported it as police having been called, which seems pretty official. In any case, IF it happened, it's no joke. There is no way in which a home "invasion" or unwanted entry is a joke.
Bliss
2014-09-20 22:09

Forum Posts: 146
Comments: 7
Maybe all the fans should sit in a circle ( remember criss cross apple sauce ladies). We can all join hands and say a safety prayer for the admired Keanu? Sound good?? Lol Idk if it's a real story, kinda on the fence. It could be but it couldn't. Either way it's weird, because even if it's fake, look how the media runs stuff that's not true. People are bug eyed soaking the fear up, it's dillusional and sad. Now, on the other hand if it's a crazy stalker, I am glad she likes to read. I mean, she could have hurt Kenau. We all have stalking stories, I know. But everything is cool, either way, all is good.
MmeRenard
2014-09-21 00:35

Hey, concerned about Keanu should this be true? that's "delusional [sp] and sad"?

"yeah, I can live with that"

Far better than I could deal with thinking it's a joke if it does turn out to be true, which god forbid.

Bliss
2014-09-21 00:42

It's delusional and sad to believe everything you see or hear. I believed it for a bit, no lie there, but something isn't right.
MmeRenard
2014-09-22 01:20

I guess it's true since Keanu says it's true.
LucaM
2014-09-22 01:59

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
well, that clarifies it, then.
Bliss
2014-09-22 02:43

I guess so, but I wouldn't want to play him in a game of Chess or Poker.
MmeRenard
2014-09-22 02:51

interesting comment

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.