WINM Forums :: The Films of Keanu Reeves :: Side by Side - a documentary

1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Side by Side - a documentary
ARYA
2012-01-26 10:41

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
from Lelou at CK who is also in Germany

Keanu Participates in The Berlinale Talent Campus
I have digged deeper and have found out that it is most likely that this panel is open to the public and you don't have to be a registered member to attend the event. Program for the Talent Campus is out 31st January and tickets can be booked online from 6th February 10 a.m. on at the Berlinale Site.

Furthermore we can hope for a video capture of the panel as there are a lot of the public lectures of last years Talent Campus can be found on their website.

BUT
then Marg sez it's for film makers only so hard to know yet if you can get in or not. I vote that you get in Joke. Keep in touch with those fans on the PM at CK if you can.

ARYA
2012-02-07 00:02

@Joke, CONGRATULATIONS on scoring a ticket to the interviewing event!!!! Hope you will tell us all about it. :)
Joke
2012-02-07 01:50

Forum Posts: 380
Comments: 1
Reviews: 0
@ARYA Thanks, ofcourse I will tell you all about it. :-)

Anakin McFly
2012-02-07 09:59

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
...any chance of you mentioning us to Keanu? XD
BlueGem
2012-02-07 12:28

Forum Posts: 184
Comments: 11
Joke, that's awesome. Give Keanu our love!
ARYA
2012-02-14 01:24

13 February, 2012 | By Wendy Mitchell

Keanu Reeves produces and presents the documentary.

Tribeca Film has taken North American rights to Side By Side, the documentary about the digital revolution and its impact on filmmaking.

Keanu Reeves produces and presents the film, which is directed by Chris Kenneally.

The film has its world premiere here at the Berlinale. Its interviewees include James Cameron, David Fincher, George Lucas, David Lynch, Christopher Nolan, Martin Scorsese, and Steven Soderbergh.

Tribeca plans a summer release on multiple platforms, and the filmmakers plan a college tour as well.

“Cinema is at a tipping point. Digital has challenged, and in some ways completely overturned, a process of making movies on photochemical film that has been a tradition for over one hundred years,” said Kenneally. “Side by Side is an intimate conversation between Keanu and the top professionals in the industry about this revolution and its impact.”

“Keanu Reeves has long distinguished himself with compelling and original performances, but with Side By Side he demonstrates another dimension: remarkable passion and thoughtfulness about the state of film itself,” added Nancy Schafer, EVP of Tribeca Enterprises. “Chris Kenneally has created a fantastic resource about the film medium and we are anticipating a great dialogue throughout this year as audiences experience Side by Side.”

The deal was negotiated by Tribeca’s Nick Savva with producer Justin Szlasa and attorney Marc Simon of Cowan DeBaets Abrahams & Sheppard LLP.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/distribution/tribeca-scoops-side-by-side/5037989.article

LucaM
2012-02-14 01:58

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
ARYA - that article made my day. ;)
thanks for posting it :)
gulbie
2012-02-14 03:16

Forum Posts: 261
Comments: 17
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/13/idUS187237222720120213

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/13/idUS187237222720120213

tribeca film acquires side by side north american rigths of distribution. premiere 2013.

gulbie
2012-02-14 03:39

oops, I didn't see above what Arya wrote...sorry for the repetition :(
ARYA
2012-02-16 00:57

Variety

Side by Side
(Documentary)
By Leslie Felperin

A Company Films production. (International sales: Cat & Docs, Paris.) Produced by Keanu Reeves, Justin Szlasa. Directed, written by Chris Kenneally.
With: Keanu Reeves, Michael Ballhaus, Dion Beebe, Danny Boyle, James Cameron, Michael Chapman, Anne V. Coates, Lorenzo di Bonaventura, David Fincher, Greta Gerwig, Jim Jannard, Ellen Kuras, George Lucas, David Lynch, Anthony Dod Mantle, Donald McAlpine, Walter Murch, Christopher Nolan, Wally Pfister, Dick Pope, Tom Rothman, Joel Schumacher, Martin Scorsese, Steven Soderbergh, Lars von Trier, Andy Wachowski, Lana Wachowski, Bradford Young, Vilmos Zsigmond, Dennis Muren, Tim Stipan.By LESLIE FELPERIN
Likely to prove utterly irresistible to geeks of all descriptions, but especially fest programmers, upscale broadcasters and anyone interested in the nuts and bolts of filmmaking, "Side by Side" examines the impact of digital technology on film. Asking canny questions oncamera while also acting as one of pic's producers, Keanu Reeves canvasses opinions from a truly impressive array of talents, including not just helmers like Martin Scorsese, David Fincher and Christopher Nolan, but also some of the industry's finest lensers and below-the-liners. Ironically, the tech package could look a little classier itself, but with material this intrinsically fascinating, who cares?

Opening montage of talking heads sounding off on the merits of old-fashioned photochemical film versus the newfangled means of production gets things off to a rousing start, with plenty of robust opinions, ranging from Steven Soderbergh rhapsodizing about the liberation of digital to one d.p. lamenting that switching to digital is like trading in oil paints for a box of crayons. A brief history of photochemical filmmaking whizzes by in a flurry of fair-use-sanctioned clips and somewhat primitive but helpfully explanatory animation, as several artists -- and not just ones from older generations -- exalt the glory of silver halide, grain and fingers sliced on Steenbecks.

Thereafter, writer-helmer Chris Kenneally (who made docu "Crazy Legs Conti: Zen and the Art of Competitive Eating") and Reeves methodically work through how digital technologies have been introduced in several fields of endeavor, not just lensing but also editing, color correction, visual effects and projection. Pic even explores the contentious issue of how digital film is to be archived, given the speed with which formats reach obsolescence; Fincher, one of the pic's most engaging, articulate and foul-mouthed contributors, explains how he has master copies of early films that he can't even watch anymore because he has nothing to screen them through.

Although laid out with such clarity that any layperson could catch the gist of what's being discussed, "Side by Side" is not afraid to get nitty-gritty about more technical matters, such as why the invention of Bell Labs' CCD chip was so game-changing, how stereoscopy works or why a Red camera or a Sony F950 is so much better than a standard-definition rig (answer: It's all in the pixels). Yet plenty of airtime is also given to those who prefer the aesthetic of photochemical stock, which, as helpful clips illustrate, still has a much wider dynamic range than digital.

For other, less nerdy-minded auds, simply hearing great masters of the craft talk about their work with passion, specificity and acumen will be enough of a treat. Pic generously apportions roughly equal amounts of screen time to big names and lesser-known craftspeople such as ace editor Anne V. Coates, vfx legend Dennis Muren and top colorist Tim Stipan, who speak just as eloquently about the work as their more famous colleagues. Nevertheless, Joel Schumacher delivers possibly the pic's funniest line when he sighs that the problem with instant playback via digital is that actors get obsessed not with their performances but with what their hair looks like.

Ultimately, the docu doesn't argue that one format is necessarily better than the other, but it does make clear that we're living through a key moment in film history. Interviewees differ in their estimates of how long photochemical filmmaking will last, but nearly everyone agrees the balance of power is shifting ineluctably toward digital, simply because it's cheaper. Fittingly, venerable lenser Michael Ballhaus ("The Marriage of Maria Braun," "GoodFellas,") gets the last word: "If you do something with your heart… it doesn't matter what you're using."
Camera (color/B&W, HD, 35mm-to-HD), Chris Cassidy; editors, Mike Long, Malcolm Hearn; music, Brendan Ryan, Billy Ryan; sound, Lew Goldstein. Reviewed at Berlin Film Festival (Berlinale Special), Feb.14, 2012. (Also in Hong Kong, Tribeca film festivals.) Running time: 98 MIN.

LucaM
2012-02-16 01:31

ARYA - thanks for posting this :)
nafsunaek
2012-02-16 04:03

Forum Posts: 491
Comments: 111
Yes, Arya, thanks!
gulbie
2012-02-16 04:34

thanks Arya!!!
LucaM
2012-02-16 06:48

... when the reviews start marching in... ;)

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/berlinale-2012-review-keanu-reeves-produced-and-presented-doc-side-by-side-a-treat-for-cinephiles-on-all-sides-of-the-digital-debate

http://www.ultraculture.co.uk/10692-side-by-side-keanu-reeves-berlinale-review.htm

LucaM
2012-02-17 06:52

http://www.indiewire.com/article/keanu-reeves-talks-digital-cinema-in-berlin-doc-side-by-side

Keanu Reeves: Digital cinema expert? Keanu Reeves, digital cinema historian?

Strange but true: That's the impression, among critics as well as audiences, after the premiere of "Side By Side," a new documentary that premiered at the Berlin International Film Festival.

no, really?
well, duh , quelle surprise !

BlueGem
2012-02-17 08:14

Forum Posts: 184
Comments: 11
Gotta love this bit from one of the above reviews:

But if you can see it on the big screen, I fully urge you to do so — not only for the sake of the stunning film clips that illustrate each interview, but also for the twenty different haircuts that Keanu apparently road tested during the shoot. They, perhaps more so than any of the historically significant films discussed in Side by Side, deserve the full, unsullied cinematic experience.

ARYA
2012-02-17 23:51

I do enjoy me a "full, unsullied cinematic experience" of the keanu kind... :)
LucaM
2012-02-18 00:03

the twenty different haircuts that Keanu apparently road tested during the shoot.

... but the shoes were the same ... ;)

ARYA
2012-02-18 00:28

I had a website that sold those shoes at one time but I lost it. Can anyone read the name on those shoes? I fully intend to buy them for myself if I can find them again.
Chiara
2012-02-18 04:08

Forum Posts: 215
Comments: 1
Has he ever commented that habbit to wear the same,old shoes so long?I mean do we know why he`s doing that?

1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.