WINM Forums :: The Films of Keanu Reeves :: Generation Um

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Generation Um
tini4
2012-07-21 18:50

Forum Posts: 140
Comments: 5
Reviews: 0
Yeah, the Luckiest Guy song just strikes to the head!
I want this song...
LucaM
2012-07-21 20:58

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13

Anyone else got that he's the luckiest guy song stuck in their head ?

yep.
Chiara
2012-07-21 22:17

Forum Posts: 215
Comments: 1
Finally got to see the movie.I have to say I`m very moved,the film left me emotionally drained.Keanu`s great in it and both the girls, especially Violet,in my oppinion.I`m moved by John`s obsession with details, like he`s searching for the beauty in them.Moved how he tried to see things better and more clear,moved how it was hard for him to show compassion(could cry when he`s trying to give a hug to crying Violet).....

EDIT> forgot to say I loved John`s dry humor:
Roomate:Did you just get in?
John:No, that was you!

Joke
2012-07-21 23:08

Forum Posts: 380
Comments: 1
John also says the most depressing things.

You just get to a point where your disappointment in yourself becomes so much bigger than your parent's disappointment in you. *ouch*

ARYA
2012-07-21 23:24

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
"Behave"..."Fine"

I.R.A.
2012-07-23 09:27

Forum Posts: 50
Comments: 0
"Where's the cat?!"

Ehehehehe :) All the "parties" at my house always, always feature this exact question, at some point in the evening :)

ARYA
2012-07-23 11:49

I was cracking up when he said that too. Skillful distraction.
I.R.A.
2012-07-24 04:48

Okay, I might need to watch it again. My straightforward Capricorn mind likes to see a message displayed clearly, and that is not the case here. I found I didn't really care for any of the characters. They were all out of focus.

ARYA, you mentioned John's mental illness on tumblr - would you please explain it to me? (I've only seen it once, English is not my native language, and Reeves can speak very softly, so some things might have been lost for me.)

LucaM
2012-07-24 05:38

They were all out of focus.

... I guess that was the point.
Generation Um.

I.R.A.
2012-07-24 05:53

Okay, please continue - mental illness? I didn't really catch it. I mean, he was kinda talking gibberish in the diner, but it's difficult for me to understand artistic people in general, so, you know...
LucaM
2012-07-24 06:11

I didn't understand all of it either - hope to get the fine details when I get the DVD with the English subtitles.

John sees patterns in everything. He's obsessed with patterns. Don't know what's the name of this 'mental disorder'. And because of this obsession with patterns he's missing the bigger picture. Can't see the forest for the trees. "Clarity" says Charles - into whom John confides, sort of, even if Charles is an asshole.
But when he looks through the camera, everything changes. He gets focus. He gets clarity.

There's that exchange of lines between John and his friend - who's also suffering from a mental disorder, but apparently different than John's. The friend tries telling John the story about 'if you give a guy a fish, you feed him for one day, but if you teach him to fish, you feed him for the rest of his life'.
Before going to the girls' apartment, John looks into the camera and says ' I.. I'm that guy. With the fish'. There's something about that. I guess it means that by pointing the camera at them, he's helping all three of them to learn fishing. Not sure, though. I need to read the subtitles, too.

Then there's the part in the credits when the friend shows the girls John's high school card with ‘straight A’s’ "Why do you still keep it?" "It was my zenith".

Their whole lives were out of focus and darkly -until the camera made them see clearly.

... at least that's how I see it. today. tomorrow is a different day..,

I.R.A.
2012-07-24 06:28

LucaM, hmm, okay, I like your take. Although I still don't understanding where you are getting all the mental illness hints from. I'm also not sure about the patterns thing, didn't notice that. I'll watch it again.

Problem is, last night I also watched The Matrix Revisited (I never even knew this thing existed) and it's so much fun, I now need to re-watch The Matrix, for the millionth time :)))

LucaM
2012-07-24 06:34

where you are getting all the mental illness hints from.

The check sent from his mother to John on which is clearly written under purpose for payment: "medication" ?
The conversation between John and Charles - at least what I could make of it?
the 'zenith' thing?

'John Wall' = a blank wall on which anyone can 'project' ?

ARYA
2012-07-24 06:47

John Wall clearly has some type mental issue when he is speaking with Charles.
Cool you got to Revisited. So much real Keanu there.
I.R.A.
2012-07-24 06:55

Ooh, LucaM, not enough quality in the video I have access to, to see the memo on the check. Thanks! When I first saw screencaps I was surprised that his mom sent him $75 for his birthday - he looks very grown up to me, so that was puzzling. It makes more sense now, I guess.

The diner conversation was too confusing in general, so I just kind of shrugged it off... As for the "zenith" - well, you know, it could be applicable to a person who graduates from school and suddenly there's this whole world of possibilities, and you have to make choices, and suddenly you are lost and confused. And I think there are people who suddenly have no idea what to do next and they just... do nothing.

But yes, all this combined... Okay. Thanks :)

ARYA, yeah, he's so much fun when he's relaxed and being himself, it always catches me off-guard. My favorite though is whenever he talks to Jay Leno - the chemistry between the two is unbelievable :) I gotta find like, all of Keanu's appearances on Jay Leno's show, it's such a blast.

ARYA
2012-07-24 07:39

I believe all the Leno's are on youtube. I think I've seen them all and I just wish Jay would shut up and let Keanu talk.
Is it a secret what IRA and this red truck means on your av?
ARYA
2012-07-24 07:47

Kinda funny that they used his mug shot at the end there. I do wonder if they sprung that on him or if he knew they were going to bring it out?
ARYA
2012-07-24 08:56

Voltage took down the vimeo link. Can't say I am surprised.
I.R.A.
2012-07-24 09:11

I just wish Jay would shut up and let Keanu talk

Noooo, Keanu is so relaxed and funny with him, and Jay makes him laugh and everything is beautiful :) And they are both such motorheads :)

Is it a secret what IRA and this red truck means on your av?

Well, I.R.A. is my "official" nickname on Ukrainian auto forums. I usually always have it on my cars in some form. It's also a short version of my first name - Ira :) I understand that it's a violent militarized organization (or used to be), but I just like that it coincides with my name and has "Army" in it and stuff. I didn't put it up on the car that I'm driving in US though.

It's not a red truck, it's my first car, a VW Golf Mk2. It was actually greenish-blueish-gray (really a beautiful color, when clean). I, uh... hmm... well, the short version is, I was training for an amateur rally, forgot about the sharpness of upcoming turn and then made a poor decision. Wrecked half of the driver's side of the car and didn't get a scratch myself, very surprisingly. Should have been dead, actually... Or like without a left ear and a left eye. Weird. Anyway, the only driver's door I could find was red. Which of course looked ridiculous. So I decided to make it more ridiculous, made a stencil out of a sheet of copy paper, borrowed a can of black spray paint, and voila!

Sorry, I ended up writing too many words againю (I actually started describing the whole wrecking story but then I came to.)

Anyway, all of this if off the topic!

I.R.A.
2012-07-24 09:14

Voltage took down the vimeo link. Can't say I am surprised.

Well, there goes my chance to understand all those softly-spoken things.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.