WINM Forums :: The Films of Keanu Reeves :: Generation Um

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Generation Um
LucaM
2012-07-16 05:38

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
... I've been waiting to see this movie ever since those 'no loitering' photos were posted on the 'net in october 2010. So please excuse my lack of self-control ;) :D

but it seems like there was some kind of resolution at the end, no?

... I don't know. All that talk in front of the camera and Violet crying and the girls' attitude while they were walking towards the hotel room... say that maybe they saw their life in its true light. But then the camera seems to have been put aside and when he picks them up from the hotel they don't talk anymore, it's just a heavy silence in that car, and Violet gives John his 'share' for the drive, and it's just... like the poster says 'life could be different tomorrow. Or maybe not.'

tini4
2012-07-16 05:48

Forum Posts: 140
Comments: 5
Reviews: 0
In my opinion this movie is very dramatic... shake... frustrating... shocked... surprise... sad... Makes me think and feel.

P.S. forgot to say I Like it / even without translation /

Softie
2012-07-16 06:20

Forum Posts: 78
Comments: 10

... I don't know. All that talk in front of the camera and Mia crying and the girls' attitude while they were walking towards the hotel room... say that maybe they saw their life in its true light. But then the camera seems to have been put aside and when he picks them up from the hotel they don't talk anymore, it's just a heavy silence in that car, and Mia gives John his 'share' for the drive, and it's just... like the poster says 'life could be different tomorrow. Or maybe not.'

Oh, I didn't know that about that poster, that certainly adds some insight to it. I guess, for me it is that there could be resolution in the sense that there is some kind of transformation within the characters...maybe things don't change for them but there is as you say the sight of their lives in its true light. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean it's happy, lol. Or maybe resolution isn't really the right word? I don't know...it definitely had an intimate feeling in that you could sense that these three people were all traumatized in some way and were coming to grips with it. Plus, the end credits (which weren't technically part of the story) had a light hearted feel to them. Gosh all this speculation and discussion is really making me want to see it even more!

P.S. forgot to say I Like it / even without translation /

Me too, it's definitely not typical of today's films. I get the feeling that Keanu is striving to create and be part of films that have a more old school sensibility to them, that are grounded. Henry's Crime was like that, this film's tone was reminiscent of the more gritty films of the 80s and 90s, and then of course Man of Tai Chi, which is gonna be a good old fashioned Kung Fu flick from the sounds of it. I'm excited about this new phase of his career!
ARYA
2012-07-16 12:45

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
@ Luca, No depravity? fuck, I wanted depravity or a least some frontal nudity.
It's the repeat viewings that have me falling in love with his movies. Every moment he is on screen is purely poetry.
LucaM
2012-07-16 15:22

ARYA - no, and no. sorry :|

ARYA
2012-07-16 22:03

http://vk.com/album-1025164_160030693

Hello Luca? I will settle for the bathroom scene.

and Keanu singing? I almost fell off my chair!

@Softie, Thanks for the overview/opinion. I will have to order this from the thailand site asap.

Softie
2012-07-16 22:15

I will settle for the bathroom scene. When were ya gonna tell me about that?

I mentioned that one in my post, but like I said it's not sexy at all. It's rather uncomfortable and seedy, it made me turn away (unlike the scene in Feeling Minnesota). Just warning you. The singing was cute, he was really flat and off key.

Off topic, I've discovered that I really enjoy watching Keanu with cats. It's so cute how he holds the one in this movie like a baby. Then of course Duck in Constantine...

ARYA
2012-07-16 22:23

@Softie, just before your last post I was reading back. Sorry I missed it when you first posted. Did you look at the screen caps yet? I believe the scene is gonna be cringy when I see it but the caps look hot. Out of context being what it is. And now you tell me a cats scene?
ARYA
2012-07-16 22:28

I remember someone involved in editing tweeted they were editing a sex scene with Keanu so the bathroom must have been what they meant.
Softie
2012-07-16 23:05

No problem, Arya. I saw the screen caps, and yes context is everything! Even without understanding what is being said you will feel just how dirty and scummy and sad that scene was.

And the cat scene is nothing really, he just picks up his cat to bring it to it's food dish and it runs away (there are some screencaps at that site you posted). It's just cute how he holds it, just like Constantine. Also, I feel like he has cat energy, kind of detached and hard to pin down, is only around when they want to be, can never quite tell what they are thinking lol. So it's an interesting interaction to me... if that makes any sense.

I think cats are KR's spirit animal ;)

LucaM
2012-07-16 23:24

ARYA - settle for it if you want, but as Softie wrote, that scene is cringy and sad and I couldn't see anything 'hot' about it.
It's part of Violet's cat-and-mouse game with John; a game that changes when he points the camera at her. The 'counter part' of this scene is the one with Violet crying, in the girls' apartment. AND the rather similar but yet so different scene in the hotel room at Sheraton...

yeah, there is a black cat in this film as well :) John shares his apartment with a roommate and a cat :)

also, John Wall ???
... I love it :D

ARYA
2012-07-17 00:43

lets not get all judgmental on what's hot ok? hot is in the eye of the beholder.
Joke
2012-07-17 00:44

Forum Posts: 380
Comments: 1
@LucaM, I'm probably missing some nuance of the English language here, but why is John Wall a special name ?

And for something completely different, did anyone else feel like slapping the guy who dubbed Keanu? He spoke with such a slow drawl, syllables so drawn out, it really irritated me. Can't wait til I can get my hands on an original language copy.

ARYA
2012-07-17 00:46

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/collagemyedit.jpg/][/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

Softie
2012-07-17 00:55

lets not get all judgmental on what's hot ok? hot is in the eye of the beholder.

Sorry, but I don't think Luca was getting judgmental on what is hot or not. He is just saying (as I was also) that the movie is not presenting this sexual encounter as something sexy. It is what it is, a quick blow job in a dirty bathroom by a drunk prostitute. Now if someone finds that hot, cool, but the point is that the characters are not shown as enjoying this as an emotionally satisfying encounter within the story. (She burps in his face after she is done, to give you a better idea)

did anyone else feel like slapping the guy who dubbed Keanu?

Yes Joke!!! I was so annoyed at him! I'm like, why is he putting on this dopey sounding voice? Clearly, John is subdued and morose, but come on. Poor and lazy choice on the actor's part.

LucaM
2012-07-17 01:03

hot is in the eye of the beholder.

that's why I wrote 'settle for it if you want but I can't see anything hot about it'

to each one's own, as always.

LucaM
2012-07-17 01:11

but why is John Wall a special name ?

It probably isn't.
But I saw the caps and could read the name better and thought what if it's a pun as in John the most common and plain English and American name but also 'john' in slang means a prostitute's client and Henry Miller's 'John Thursday' and 'Wall' as in, well. 'The Wall' ;)

Perhaps I think too much ;)

ARYA
2012-07-17 01:22

in some cultures a belch after a meal is a compliment. just sayin... :)
Much in the way of sexual encounters is rather base and that seems to be the point. we made the stretch to find the FM scene hot and there's no hearts and flowers there for sure.
Softie
2012-07-17 01:48

we made the stretch to find the FM scene hot and there's no hearts and flowers there for sure.

We? No 'we' here, Arya. I didn't have to do any stretching, as Jjaks and Freddie were shown to be having fun and enjoying themselves at that moment by the pool. It was presented as mischievous, this was not from what I could see.

in some cultures a belch after a meal is a compliment. just sayin... :)

Lol sure! But I found that gross and ugly in that context. But as Luca said, to each one's own.:) Have you watched it yet, Arya?

ARYA
2012-07-17 02:16

@softie, I was meaning the bathroom scene in FM but I see now you were referencing oral sex scenes.
No I have not seen it yet. I am sending away for the dvd. Did you like my edit?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.