WINM Forums :: The Films of Keanu Reeves :: 47 Ronin

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

47 Ronin
anita7722013-12-27 09:35

Forum Posts: 143
Comments: 6
Reviews: 0
It has an abysmal 25 out of 100 on Fandango. Ouch!
MmeRenard
2013-12-27 09:55

Forum Posts: 1101
Comments: 48
The Business Week article is pretty nasty - its implication being that risking a film on Keanu's supposedly spotty earnings capacity is somehow foolish. Huh? Also, it seems more than a bit early to be making gross projections (pun intended) of the film's eventual earnings seeing that it's been out here for all of about 36 hours. We'll see, I guess.
No, I haven't seen it yet, working 40 hours in four days is not very helpful. :-(
Sunday looks good! I can't wait!
ARYA
2013-12-27 11:33

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
love this user review from IMDB

Stop being pretentious and enjoy a Superb film
10/10
Author: deva wilson from United States
26 December 2013

This movie has lot of adventure bundled with emotion. Unless you want to see a mindless friction movies, This has strong story and graphics effects. Keanu Reeves acting is excellent to watch.After seeing this film I was more than a little disgusted to see so many negative reviews.This movie is all in its Glory.47 ronin 2013 is beautiful, over the top, heart wrenching, and thoroughly enjoyable flick that I shall always highly recommend.An intriguing story re-told again with attention to History,sacrifice.The film itself, as a film, was awesome! The visuals and soundtrack were captivating and lavish. The acting was great overall, as you can trust these actors to deliver.Don't be so close minded and try to view it as just another film that tells a historic story, and a great one at that.

marivicbartolata
2013-12-27 18:02

Forum Posts: 51
Comments: 15
I just loved the honest comments in reaction to this article I found in Washington post that I highlighted some of them. You see, a worthwhile movie does not need a nasty review of a certain Mr. Jenkins.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/movies/47-ronin-movie-review-keanu-reeves-stars-in-dull-retelling-of-japanese-fable/2013/12/26/c2354be6-6e41-11e3-a523-fe73f0ff6b8d_story.html
47 Ronin’ movie review: Keanu Reeves stars in dull retelling of Japanese fable
By Mark Jenkins, Friday, December 27, 4:20 AM
One of the defining fables of pre-modern Japan, the tale of the 47 ronin has been filmed many times in that country. Yet somehow no previous director thought to include rampaging supernatural beasts, a shape-shifting witch or Keanu Reeves.
Those last three are prominent in “47 Ronin,” Hollywood’s first stab at the samurai tale. It’s big and brawling yet often dull, with about as much genuine Japanese character as a food-court teriyaki stand. The cast is mostly Japanese, but chosen from the small list of actors with recent credits in mainstream American movies.
The original story pivots on vengeance, but also things that give Hollywood hives, such as patience and discipline. Noble Lord Asano is goaded into a confrontation with devious Lord Kira. Asano attacks Kira, and as punishment is required to commit seppuku (ritual suicide). His 47 loyal retainers — now ronin, meaning masterless samurai — pretend to accept the judgment. But secretly they plan Kira’s doom, knowing that success must be followed by their own seppuku.
This version incorporates much of that plot but juices it with magic. Working for Kira (“Battleship’s” Tadanobu Asano), smirking sorceress Mizuki (“Pacific Rim’s” Rinko Kikuchi) bewitches Asano into attacking him. Retribution is plotted by Oishi (“The Wolverine’s” Hiroyuki Sanada) and Kai (Reeves), a “half-breed” who was raised by tengu, one of the many varieties of form-changing critters in Japanese lore.
Outsider Kai is initially rejected by the samurai but is adored by Mika (Ko Shibasaki), Lord Asano’s daughter. She’s going to be married to Kira, which might be one reason lovestruck Kai is keen to join the revenge scheme. The probability of seppuku reduces the likelihood of happily-ever-after for the couple but adds a “Romeo and Juliet” element to a script that also borrows from “Hamlet.”
“47 Ronin” toggles between landscapes that appear European — shot in Hungary — and CGI backdrops that resemble China more than Japan. The result makes such anti-historical movies as “The Last Samurai” look fastidious by comparison.
Still, “47 Ronin” doesn’t look bad, and the heroes’ final assault is well-staged. But it frequently lags, and most of the actors — aside from Kikuchi, but including Reeves — deliver the English-language movie’s dialogue as if they learned it phonetically.
Despite the references to Japanese legend, the film’s principal influence is all those recent mash-ups of fairy tales, horror flicks and action pictures. (Co-scripter Hossein Amini helped write one of them, “Snow White and the Huntsman.”) When “47 Ronin” makes an absurd detour to an island occupied by Dutch traders, the sequence plays like something from the “Pirates of the Caribbean” series.
Ultimately, the movie just doesn’t justify its outrageous bid to turn a solemn tale of self-sacrifice into swaggering global-marketplace entertainment. A notoriously troubled production, “47 Ronin” reportedly cost upwards of $225 million. Yet it contains about 10 yen worth of cross-cultural acumen.
Jenkins is a freelance writer.
★½
PG-13. At area theaters. Contains intense sequences of violence and action, some disturbing images and thematic elements. 119 minutes.

kssports55
10:09 AM UTC+0800
We just went to this movie tonight and we all liked it. None of us (4) realized it was based off of a true story so when I got home I looked it up and seen the ratings. Very surprised it had such low ratings??? It is a good movie with really good special effects...we all ducked a few times and laughed at each other. After watching the movie I went online to read about the true story from 1701 and it was very interesting...yes the movie has magic, a witch, creatures and such that make parts not realistic but so what...if I want actual facts, etc I will buy a book. I go to movies for the entertainment not to learn....the only thing I didn't like about this movie was the ending...

HSBuffalo
8:41 AM UTC+0800
Sadly the good Mr. Jenkins clearly knows zip about story telling, cinematography and/or the Japanese or Asian culture in general. If you listen to his advice, you may miss one of the best films of the year. This picture is extremely well acted, has beautiful scenery, as well as detailed period set designs and gorgeous traditional Japanese costumes. Hiroyuki Sanada is magnificent! Go see this movie. This story has it all. Loyalty, courage, honor, adventure, magic, swordplay, heroism, tragedy and love. Ask yourself this, how many times have you been to a movie where the audience actually applauds at the end of the film? Unbelievably, in this cynical, very negative day in age, this film actually stirred enough emotion that there was a delightfully surprising burst of applause as the house lights went up and the film's credits began. Who would have thought? A completely unexpected show of appreciation. Haven't personally experienced that at a theater in many, many years. Still want to miss it? Go, you'll enjoy it! This film is a five out of five stars.

marivicbartolata
2013-12-27 18:13

Since opening day, I kept searching on the net on whatever news about 47 ronin, including box office forecasts (nasty) and found some reviews even nastier...the box office is crowded, with realeases from various studios. Which made me think that like in many other industries, competition is tough. I have the strong notion that these nasty reviews like from the Washington post, the Hollywood reporter, Business week (as mentioned by MmeRenard, have read it, too, i found it so inaccurate!) etc. are so biased. Perhaps the “rule of the game” here is “give me the money so I will give a good review”. Sadly, some viewers are lured to believe what they are saying before they could watch and judge for themselves...but in my forage on the net, most are positive and eager to watch, and they say that Keanu is no longer there for the dough coz he is now in the stage of his career and life where he is free to make choices...and he does it intelligently...that’s my man!
LucaM
2013-12-27 18:17

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
While not without its minor flaws, the movie is beautiful.
The trailers were misleading, though. It's not a full-on adventure romp. It's rather a Shakesperian tragedy. And it's best watched without expectations or pre-conceptions. Just let the story unfold itself.

I don't watch ratings, or critic reviews. I watch movies. It's a bit more rewarding ;)

LucaM
2013-12-27 18:18

Perhaps the “rule of the game” here is “give me the money so I will give a good review”

Perhaps ? ;)

marivicbartolata
2013-12-27 18:21

You are right, LucaM, but i do fair game when it comes to Keanu, I take the good and the bad with equanimity...I read the good and the bad reviews, the clear biases, we cannot please everyone, a movie is supposed to entertain, reviews should be banned...it is like any merchandise, it is up to the consumer if he takes or leaves it...
LucaM
2013-12-27 18:25

I collect the reviews. Have a file for each movie; the 47 Ronin file just reached page 140. That doesn't mean I'll let them dictate me how to watch the movie.
marivicbartolata
2013-12-27 18:29

Wow,LucaM! i also have a collection of websites on anything about K. the long break is here, we have all the time to be there, be enchanted and entertained...
MmeRenard
2013-12-27 20:36

I don't want to seem rude, but I am in full avoidance mode for all media until I see the film. I got myself totes bummed out yesterday by looking at the nasty reviews and comments around the internets. Everyone enjoy, I'll be back later!
ARYA
2013-12-28 00:09

a tumblr that is right as rain

radgoku:

there was more romance in the last five minutes of 47 Ronin than in the entirety of the Twilight saga.

LucaM
2013-12-28 04:00

Went to the proper premiere today. 3D. Sold out. Theater was packed.
When the end credits were rolling, people on two rows around me - all in their late 30s- were sniffing and wiping their eyes.
... it somehow felt good ;)

Christine2013-12-28 04:31

Forum Posts: 134
Comments: 3

Pay no attention to what the critics say... Remember, a statue has never been set up in honor of a critic!
Jean Sibelius
Finnish composer & patriot (1865 - 1957)

ARYA
2013-12-28 04:34

Thanks Christine and LucaM.
MmeRenard
2013-12-28 09:53

Absolutely wonderful, beautiful, glorious, epic movie. I loved it.
lindawn
2013-12-28 11:14

Forum Posts: 102
Comments: 14
I went to see the movie twice. I LOVED IT! It is everything I want in a movie. Wonderful story with the perfect mix of action and romance. Beautiful setting, stunning costumes, sweeping soundtrack and subtle acting. No raunchy humor, language, or over the top acting in sight. It was pure entertainment.

Also, Keanu was sexy as hell!!! OMG! When he ran and leapt up on the horse in one fell swoop, I nearly lost it in public. I was screaming like a school girl inside!

ARYA
2013-12-28 11:14

My second viewing is always so much better than my first. 47 Ronin is very Shakespearean but in a feudal Japan kind of way.
Any critic that complains is grossly mistaken. Anyone that wants to make changes is not giving the movie it's proper due. I am seeing the critics, both professional and casual, that find fault after fault are just desperately wanting to have some input for their own reasons. Maybe reasons they don't themselves understand. This movie is a jewel. Exquisitely tragic. But full of the importance of reincarnation. Full of the cultural norms of the time period. Full of bushido and the way of the Samurai. I will shut up now. But please let yourself get lost in this movie for 2 hours. Part of the responsibility of enjoying the movie lies in the viewer.
ARYA
2013-12-28 11:15

@lindawn, we posted the exact same minute! @MmeRenard, epic, and glorious sound right to me.
lindawn
2013-12-28 11:26

Forum Posts: 102
Comments: 14
@ARYA, I noticed that. We are of like mind:)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.