WINM Forums :: The Films of Keanu Reeves :: 47 Ronin

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

47 Ronin
LucaM
2014-01-08 01:07

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13

OMG this person copied some of my review word for word!

welcome to the club :|

ARYA
2014-01-08 06:33

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
They pinch yours too LucaM?
LucaM
2014-01-08 06:37

the editor of a website from Austin copied my IMDb review of MOTC and posted it as part oh his critical review ;)

we must be doing something right, huh ? ;)

ARYA
2014-01-08 06:47

yes, so long as they use our incredible insight for good. :)
NuNu52
2014-01-11 01:31

Forum Posts: 39
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0
Way to go LucaM.....You're in the wrong job! Hehe New career maybe! :)
LucaM
2014-01-11 02:07

http://entertainment.inquirer.net/128965/fish-out-of-water
NuNu52
2014-01-11 02:19

Another reason why the movie is worth watching: The transfixing presence of Keanu Reeves, who looks as youthful as he did in 1999’s “The Matrix,” sans the stretched out, plasticine features of many of our “overpreserved” actors—keep in mind that the guy will turn 50 in September! Would that other veteran actors could remain as naturally boyish, lithe—and light on their feet.

http://entertainment.inquirer.net/128965/fish-out-of-water

Hehe! How true!

Cute article!

ARYA
2014-01-11 03:53

I am posting this one as an example of how wrong they can be, even though it is over all a great review.
This Fred comments that he expected Kai to be younger. Why? Purely subjective.

Loyalty and honor in Japanese culture had been very elegantly presented in many movies about the Shogunate or feudal period of their history. I had always admired the nobility of their Bushido way of Samurai life, from watching films like "Ran", to more modern interpretations of the swordsman culture, like "Ruruoni Kenshin." I think "47 Ronin" will be joining that list.

Lord Asano (Min Tanaka) is the master of the prosperous house of Ako. A rival master, Lord Kira (Tadanobu Asano), caused Asano to commit an act of assault by inflicting him with a spell care of his personal Witch (Rinko Kikuchi). The Shogun Tsunayoshi (Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa) meted Asano the sentence of seppuku, rendering his band of Samurai led by the loyal Oishi (Hiroyuki Sanada) as Ronin.

Ronin are Samurai who have lost their master. The title "47 Ronin" refer to this group of ex-Samurai who reunite to avenge the dishonor and death of their master. Among these Ronin is an half-breed of remarkable fighting skills named Kai (Keanu Reeves). Despite being considered an outcast because of his skin, Kai's own mystical past will play an instrumental role in their plan for revenge.

This film's story is very well-told by director Carl Rinsch from a screenplay by Chris Morgan and Hossein Amini. The cinematography was absolutely impressive with its sweeping vistas as well as intimate close-ups. The production design spared no expense it seems for very elegant set pieces, from rock gardens to ceremonial grounds. The choreography of the rituals and fight scenes were very well-done as well.

The costumes by Penny Rose deserve award consideration with their elaborate designs and rich detail. Striking colors of red, gold and navy delineate the clothes worn by the three different armies in the film. Smart modern touches touch up the gowns worn by the two main female characters in the cast.

Keanu Reeves does well in his role as Kai as far as the acting was concerned, although I would have expected a younger actor to play the role. The main brunt of the acting though was on the shoulders of Hiroyuki Sanada, who played the lead Samurai Oishi. His screen presence was very strong and his impassioned performance was imbued with dignity.

Oscar nominee Rinko Kikuchi chews up her every scene as the Witch, as she gets to interact with a lot of the film's computer-generated special effects. Ko Shibasaki graces the screen with her ethereal beauty and refinement as Miko, Asano's regal daughter, who had a forbidden love complicated by an unwanted betrothal decreed by the Shogun.

Overall, I thought this was a very satisfying total movie experience, where you get transported to an exotic time in history when loyalty and honor, virtues so rare in this day and age, still ruled. The writing, technical and acting aspects all contribute to a visually vivid and emotionally moving film, albeit a Westernized (everyone speaks English here) fantasy with relatively lighter-weight treatment than the Kurosawa classics. Nevertheless, it does just fine for me. 7/10

This review was originally published in the author's blog, "Fred Said [12]."
as of 01/10/2014 5:47 PM

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/lifestyle/01/10/14/review-47-ronin-westernized-bushido

ARYA
2014-01-11 03:56

@NuNu52, I was just remarking about that same paragraph. :)
2014-01-11 04:21
[ Post deleted by poster ]
NuNu52
2014-01-11 04:22

:) @ARYA
MmeRenard
2014-01-11 04:41

Forum Posts: 1101
Comments: 48
How can the ending be called "lighter weight" in any sense? Beautiful and romantic to be sure, but by no means "light."

I am seeing a great deal of criticism because the ending wasn't the typical Hollywood happy ending where the hero kicks everyone's asses, in exactly the same sense that people criticized the ending of Revolutions.

ARYA
2014-01-11 09:47

As much as I would love to see him in another Matrix like blockbuster I am happy he has not become a total tool of the hollywood movie machine as well as movie machine endings.
I just viewed RIPD and that movie is loaded with award winning actors
Jeff Bridges
Ryan Reynolds
Kevin Bacon
Mary-Louise Parker
James Hong
and it is an incredible piece of crap movie that I really wanted to like. I have a mantra for movies that are a waste of time and money as well as a drain on the collective psyche. It is "Keanu would never make this movie"
After viewing his filmography, extensively, I can see the difference in skillful script/character choices as opposed to "this one doesn't seem so bad and I need the paycheck".
@MmeRenard, I notice that Keanu takes every opportunity to say how much he loves the ending of Revolutions. Maybe down the road a lot of the critics of that ending will come to understand. I had a brief, shallow, time right after Reloaded that I felt the W's had strayed from what made The Matrix great. Keanu is always ahead of the curve and sometimes (or lately) that means we have to let people feel what they feel and talk smack. Even if they wrong. :)
Freya
2014-01-11 10:09

Forum Posts: 777
Comments: 3
Well, eventually I can have my own opinion. So ... it is a good story and all is well done. Better than I expected. Very impressive, picturesque, breathtaking. Needless to say I'll watch it again.
The only thing is that I knew from the beginning that the end of the story would be sad (at least for me).
MmeRenard
2014-01-11 10:33

Forum Posts: 1101
Comments: 48
Thanks, Arya. The whole idea of giving something up, to say nothing of self-sacrifice for others, is so incomprehensible to our culture as it is today that any portrayal of that evokes great reactivity. It is however a pretty universal spiritual truth, the hero's journey. I appreciate so much that Keanu has such respect for and understanding of his audience that he pretty much expects us to get that. That's an idea that still and increasingly boggles my mind in the best way. I don't see a whole lot of that worldview around, you know?
LucaM
2014-01-11 17:56

http://www.kickingthebitbucket.com/2014/01/10/review-47-ronin/
ARYA
2014-01-11 23:59

@MmeRenard, When I recognize that worldview, however it may appear, it just stands out like a jewel of truth.

ARYA
2014-01-12 00:09

@LucaM, thanks for posting that link. Enjoyed reading it.
@Freya, I guess we did know the ending but there was still a bit of a twist that I found very skillful and reasonable to the time period.
marivicbartolata
2014-01-12 16:40

Forum Posts: 51
Comments: 15
just watched it again with my friend (her first time to see it) and she was teary eyed at the end, she said the movie was so touching and the scenes were spectacular, and asked why they have to die? ok, that was their code of honor...it was just heart wrenching to see Kai in his final moments exchaging farewell gazes with Mika...that was the kind of impossible love mentioned by Keanu in his interviews.
Sephonae
2014-01-13 01:52

Forum Posts: 160
Comments: 3
I saw 47 Ronin in Manhattan, Christmas Day. The theater (on 42nd street) was *packed*. My son (going on 19 years old) and I had to sit way close to the screen, and it was in 3D, so the viewing was a bit awkward. Would like to see it again on the big screen under more comfortable circumstances, but haven't yet had the opportunity.

Visually, it's beautiful but quite dark (at least, with the 3D glasses it was). There's a rich tapestry of fable in this tale, which I always enjoy, although I can't always connect with folks' motivation (while it's clear that disobeying the Emperor holds severe consequences for the Ronin - a fact they understood and accepted - that Lord Asano accepts the injustice heaped upon him without any resistance does not compute with me). I thought everyone was spectacular, except for the gal who played the witch; I found her line delivery rather awkward.

I think the development of Keanu's Kai, from newbie fighter to ass-whoopin warrior, was subtly presented (thank God there was no montage). Kai's inured to his fate; he seems to accept suffering as though it were his due. Not unlike Asano. In that sense, for me, it's all rather heartbreaking, really.

As a mom, there's a bit at the very end that finally made me blubber.

Definitely want to see this again.

Edited to remove a thing that, in hindsight, seemed Spoilery.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
http://www.minalobo.com
https://www.facebook.com/GothMomLite
https://twitter.com/GothMomLite
http://gothmomlite.tumblr.com/

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.